St. Mary’s Bank was the nation’s first credit union, constructing its original headquarters in Manchester, NH in 1930. Harvey was hired to complete the construction of a new facility to replace the existing facility that had been untouched since 1970.
The three story, 29,000 square foot headquarters functions as a full service branch and headquarters. It has space to house mortgage and commercial lending divisions, finance, human resources and executive administrative offices. It also features a four lane drive up banking structure, as well as a drive up ATM. By constructing a brand new building, the integration of technology throughout the building was possible, which allows for better support of employees and improved member service. The decor of the building paid homage to the credit union’s Franco-American roots and features connections to the area mills.
An important consideration to the construction of the new headquarters was how to create a modern expanded facility and still maintain a small environmental impact. This concern is reflected in the bank’s countless green features. Photovoltaic cells were installed on the drive-up canopy to generate electricity. Interior and exterior LED and high-performance light fixtures help conserve energy, and the steel structure of the building is made with recycled materials. These aspects make the St. Mary’s Bank headquarters up to LEED standards.
Harvey delivered the project on time and on budget. The construction of this state-of-the-art facility provides the opportunity for the credit union to move forward and meet the needs of its 80,000 members across New Hampshire.